Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hawaii

For our anniversary this year we planned a trip to Hawaii. Our first and only real vacation alone in 13 years. It didn't even seem like it was really happening until we were there.

Since we flew out of LA we had a little car trip down south. Of course this didn't bother us because that meant we would be eating at...



Pink's Hot dogs. We had to wait over an hour in line but it was so worth it.

Yummmmm!


I was kind of freaked about flying since it has been so long so we found ways to keep ourselves entertained.



I am not sure if the movie was funny or if Jason was making me laugh. I don't even know how I took this pic but I thought it was a good depiction of us. Jason is always cracking me up.

Finally our first day in Hawaii. Off to breakfast and checking out the sights.

This was our first day and one of the most fun things we did. Hiking Diamond Head. It was a good hike and the scenery from the top was beautiful.

Half way...





Proof that I made it...








Man Hawaiians are very proud that the President of the United States is a Hawaiian native. This poster is everywhere. Jason is hanging loose with Obama.
Captain Bob's snorkeling cruise. This was our first of two cruises. This was fun and we got to see alot of sea turtles but I was up close and personal with an eel which kind of freaked me out.

I love how clear the ocean is.




Getting ready for the luau...








The imu ceremony



The days seemed like they went pretty fast of course like everything fun does. But each day I was looking forward to the next thing we had planned. By Thursday we were going to the Polynesian Cultural Center and we were excited to learn about the many cultures of the Polynesian Islands.
The PCC was very pretty and they do a great job keeping the culture of each island alive. We even learned a few facts like Fiji practiced cannibalism until just recently. And if you walk through the wrong door in a Fiji hut you will get clubbed to death. Now that is strict. Of course they don't practice that rule anymore.



Jason's favorite island.

They have a nice boat parade that shows all of the different islands and their style of dance. These were a few of our favorites.




The Laie Temple. Unfortunately it is undergoing reconstruction right now so we weren't able to go in. But it was still nice to be there on the grounds.




One of our last days there we went to Ko Olina which is on the southwest side of the island. It was beautiful. Not very many tourists and very relaxing. That is where we did our second snorkeling cruise. This time we had many dolphins swimming around us and the reef was a lot farther down so I didn't have any eels popping up in my face.



I am not a swimmer. I actually hate swimming but when I get in the ocean it is just so pretty that I can't help but love it. I wish we had a camera to take underwater pictures and apture all the pretty fish. Oh and the nice part was a reef shark came out after Jason was back on the boat. This picture below is Jason telling me the shark was below me. I didn't look down I just started swimming back to the boat as fast as I could.



6 comments:

Anna M said...

Oh I so want to go! Maybe next year.

RMCarter said...

Looks like paradise to me!! Glad you guys were able to get away for a while and have a fun time together, just the two of you. Good for you guys!!!

Tricia said...

Great pictures. You have mastered the self portrait pictures!

Marina said...

Y'all didn't go to Hanauma Bay??? Looks like your schedule was packed, though. Fun, fun, fun!!!! I should've had you pick me up some more lava lavas. Dang! ;)

Amy Nielson said...

Looks like so much fun and so beautiful. I am jealous that you got to swim with dolphins. :) Glad you guys got to have a nice vacation after 13 years.

Pugliani Family said...

What a great time! I would love to go to Hawaii. Looks like a lot of fun! Miss ya, Monica